Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Clark Gable- The Postal Service

"I've been waiting since birth to find a love that would look and sound like a movie"

I am currently reading Gone With the Wind and I am absolutely in love with it.  It is one of my favorite movies and soon to be one of my favorite books.  My favorite character, of course, is Rhett.  I love him.  "You should be kissed and by somebody who knows how." Like, who says that?? Rhett Butler, that's who.  I have always said that I want a man that is as ridiculous as me but as smooth as Clark Gable/Rhett Butler (we all know they are practically the same person.)  He is my favorite old movie star (followed by Montgomery Clift and Gene Kelly) and Rhett is soon to be my new favorite fictional character (followed by Sodapop and Atticus Finch.) 

http://www.swingfashionista.com/tag/clark-gable/

When I listen to the Postal Service, I always think of Grey's Anatomy.  That seemed to be the time where all music was this electronic indie thing.  But I really do love the lyrics to this song.  I find it so inventive and awesome that someone finds Clark Gable as romantically smooth as me.

I was waiting for a cross-town train in the
London underground when it struck me
that I've been waiting since birth to find a
love that would look and sound like a movie
So I changed my plans, I rented a camera and
a van and then I called you
I need you to pretend that we are in love again
and you agreed too

I want so badly to believe
that there is truth, that love is real
and I want life in every word to the extent
that it's absurd

I greased the lens and framed the shot using
a friend as my stand-in
The script it called for rain but it was clear
that day so we faked it
The marker snapped and I yelled quiet on the set
and then called action
Ad I kissed you in a style clark gable would have admired 
I thought it classic

I want so badly to believe that
there is truth, that love is real
And I want life in every word to the extent
that it's absurd
I know you're wise beyond your years, but
do you ever get the feel
that your perfect verse is just a lie
you tell yourself to help you get by?


No comments:

Post a Comment